No Sales Slump Allowed!

Posted · 11 Comments
Optimized-no-excuses-lent1

You hear it from sales people all of the time.  When sales are slow and hard to come by, many people in sales begin throwing around the phrase "sales slump".  Everything in life has its ups and downs.   Every business cycles through these fluctuation in sales.  Your true personal work ethic will shine through by never allowing these economy blaming statements to deter you from getting sales.

So What?  

The only thing you should do when you hear the phrase "sales slump" is this:  WORK HARDER!

I don't meant to be so blunt, but there are just too many people out there – that are always looking for an excuse – or something to blame for their lack of accomplishment.

DON"T BECOME A PART OF THIS DETRIMENTAL WAY OF THINKING!

You are in sales for a reason, and if you really don't like sales, there's no way you are going to push yourself through when the times do get more difficult. 

So, here's what we strong-willed, diligent sales people do when it's time to sharpen our pencils…

1)  Show them the Benefits – If you truly want sales success in a "slower" economy, you need to not place all of the emphasis on the product or service, but the "benefits" that go along with them. Show prospects how your service or product will help them to be more productive – how it will in some way make their day a little easier.  

2)  Do What You Say You Are Going To Do – you need to have a proven track record of being able to deliver what you promise.  Making a guess and hoping for the best will not be tolerated here.  "I've done this before, and I can do it for you".  Be confident.  If you don't believe in yourself and your abilities, no one else will.

3)  Know What Your Competition is Doing -  There will never be a time in sales that you can "let your guard down", so to speak.  Your feelers should be out at all times in the way of knowing what people are saying – knowing what your competition does, and what you have to offer that they do not.  Information is the key to your staying AHEAD of your competition.  Educating yourself on companies and their needs is a never-ending road.  Make sure that you stay on it.

4)  Bring It! - Nothing less than 150% will do if you want to sell in a slow economy.  Be resourceful.  You need to bring everything that you've got to every phone call – every appointment.  In other words, get it right the first time.  Don't think that you will have a second chance.   Sharpen you sales skills.  Find new places to network.  

5)  Always keep an Eye on your Pipeline –  This doesn't mean you should throw every lead in there that comes your way.  Be smarter and more efficient at getting more "qualified" leads into your pipeline, to avoid wasting even one extra minute on a lead that will go no where.

I'm not saying here that you may have fewer sales sometimes.  The point of this blog was for me to share the MINDSET that you need to maintain to keep you motivated through the days when the sales process seems to be getting longer.(Click here for more on this…)   Of course, we can't control everything.  What we CAN control is how we choose to look at the situation, always challenging ourselves to come out of it better than before.  Each day, month and year that goes by you know more than you did before.  Take it all in and make it work better for you tomorrow.  

Also i asked a question on my LinkedIN connections "How do you pull yourself out of a sales slump?" here is what they said

David

Sales statistics, like sports statistics, often include slumps. But it's wrong to think short term sales failure means a salesperson has lost their "mojo". If activities are consistent, outcomes will still vary around the expected mean and the variance may include what will be perceived as an extended sales slump. Therefore, it's crucial to know the difference between what is the individual's control and what is not. Gym workouts release feel-good hormones and help salespeople to shake off rejection. However, an executive or manager should focus on data, statistics and broader socio-economic patterns. The phrase "sales slump" attempts to quantify reality without adequate information. Many complex business realities are beyond the grasp of a typical salesperson who has numerous time constraints and limited data so they just say, "I guess I'm in a sales slump".Patrick 

The term in an of itself is a line of poop Marco. If a Sales rep tells you he/she is in a slump, tell them to go to the Batting cages! 
One of the many reasons I love the job is because every day is different from the next. People have bad sales calls, but generally do not go into "slumps" 
A good hard gym work out usually cures that streak pretty fast. 
If I do hit a bad streak, I go off the grid for a day. No TV, no radio, no Blackberry, no Laptop. A good nights sleep then hitting it hard the next day.

Jan

Patrick hit it right. Go hit the gym – drive to work a different direction – reach out to new people. Actually "do lunch" with a colleague and brain storm it up. Don't "buy into" the whole sales slump chatter because that is negative talk. Change up your game plan in some way. Watch new things happen. Sales is such a numbers game……..you will connect soon with a new account – but only if you are out there working it.

Judy

I think Dave hit the mail on the head. It is up to us to get out there and do what we have to do to generate more business and more opportunities. It's definitely about having and keeping a positive attitude, and just doing what you need to do consistently.

Justin

I personally believe the slumps one faces in the present are a result of their activity in the past. So, if someone feels like they are starting to slump, they should push more leads in the pipeline, make more prospecting calls, ask for more referrals, and increase the overall sales activities. 
Here's another good tip… . Invest in a solid CRM software, or sales management tool. Look into something like Tigerpaw Software, or even a contact management software like Goldmine… The software can make a huge difference, for many reasons, but specifically, it will keep the sales people organized, and allow for future marketing actities towards existing leads in your database. 
My firm helps small businesses ramp up their sales and marketing in a number of ways. If you have questions, just ask.


Summary

Video from our podcast

Listen to internet radio with Marco Giunta on Blog Talk Radio

 

You hear it from sales people all of the time. When sales are slow and hard to come by, many people in sales begin throwing around the phrase "sales slump". You are in sales for a reason, and if you really don't like sales, there's no way you are going to push yourself through when the times do get more difficult. So, here's what we strong-willed, diligent sales people do when it's time to sharpen our pencils… Show them the Benefits – If you truly want sales success in a "slower" economy, you need to not place all of the emphasis on the product or service, but the "benefits" that go along with them. The point of this blog was for me to share the MINDSET that you need to maintain to keep you motivated through the days when the sales process seems to be getting longer. Of course, we can't control everything.

Many complex business realities are beyond the grasp of a typical salesperson who has numerous time constraints and limited data so they just say, "I guess I'm in a sales slump". People have bad sales calls, but generally do not go into "slumps" A good hard gym work out usually cures that streak pretty fast. So, if someone feels like they are starting to slump, they should push more leads in the pipeline, make more prospecting calls, ask for more referrals, and increase the overall sales activities. Look into something like Tigerpaw Software, or even a contact management software like Goldmine… The software can make a huge difference, for many reasons, but specifically, it will keep the sales people organized, and allow for future marketing actities towards existing leads in your database. My firm helps small businesses ramp up their sales and marketing in a number of ways.

 

 


Facts

1. people in sales begin throwing around the phrase "sales slump"
2. People have bad sales calls
3. You hear it from sales people all of the time
4. phrase "sales slump" attempts to quantify reality without adequate information
5. sales people allow for future marketing actities towards existing leads in your database
6. economy blaming statements to deter you from getting sales
7. you do not like sales
8. You are in sales for a reason
9. you want sales success in a "slower" economy
10. Competition will never be time in sales that you can "let your guard down"

 

Lastly…COMPLAINING IS NOT ALLOWED. Once you free yourself from those conversations, you will see that staying positive is a big part of going after the next deal.  INSTEAD OF ALWAYS TRYING TO WORK HARDER, FOCUS MORE ON WORKING SMARTER.  Be proactive.  Don't Complain – GET OUT THERE AND SELL!…. Marco

11 Responses to "No Sales Slump Allowed!"
  1. admin says:

    Dave Maskin wrote: 

    Any slowdown in business always inspires me to ramp up my networking efforts, eventually creating new business and new opportunities…

  2. admin says:

    John Salina wrote: 

    Sales Slump Management 
    There are two basic categories (Reactive and Proactive) concerning management of decreasing revenues from the perspective of a company: 
    Reactive: decrease costs 
    Proactive: Competitive pricing strategy, increase of advertising and personal selling efforts, competitive intelligence mining, product mix modifications, location of potential customers, value proposition of total product package, purchasing and supplier management strategies.

  3. admin says:

    Mark Neuwirt wrote: 

    If there is a "sales slump", we recommend reaching out to a new target market and increasing your visibility. There is plenty of opportunity out there, but only if you are willing to reach out and diversify your customer base. Studies have shown that a lot of businesses overlook this strategy because they lack the time or resources to do so. One of the best ways to do this would be to market your company at trade shoes and expos. For example, my company, Expos Your Business holds many expos throughout the New York area. Trade shows and expos expose a business to new leads that they will not have otherwise encountered. We highly believe that generating leads in person is the best strategy for an increase in sales. However, it is also important to follow up on the leads that are generated, as soon as possible. The faster you follow up on these leads, the greater the sales you will generate from the show, increasing your ROI. 

  4. admin says:

    Jim Barnet wrote: 

    Hi Marco: 

    There is no such thing as a "Sales Slump", there is only your target and the math you need to execute on to hit your target. 

    What's your sales revenue/margin target, what's your average deal size, average sale divided into your target tells you how many deals you need to do that year. How many unqualified leads does your website/SEO and other Marketing activities yield a month, how many cold calls/e-mail does it take to generate an unqualified lead, how many unqualified leads turn into qualified prospects and finally, what’s your closing percentage on qualified prospects. 

    If you do that math, then you’ll know how much activity you need to generate during the course of the year to do your target. Slumps are typically the result on inadequate activity, not back luck in closing. 

    Doing the math at the beginning of the year and then measuring results quarterly will tell you up front if your sales targets are unrealistic, or if in order to hit your targets if some significant improvements need to be made in Website/SEO Marketing lead gen, or maybe you need to hire an inside sales rep/cold caller, or if your unqualified to qualified lead ratio is too low then your value prop might need work, or perhaps the closing ratio is too low, so more work needs to be done on the criteria that determine what an ideal target prospect looks like. 

    Early in my career, I went through sales slumps, until a kindly senior Sales rep was nice enough to introduce me to “Sales math”. Sales isn’t hard, it’s a skill like everything else, it just takes some hard work to learn and practice those skills, but once you’ve mastered the fundamentals it’s not that hard to generate consistent Sales results. 

    For those folks still treating Sales like an art, they just make it look hard. 

    Hope that helps. 

    Regards, Jim Barnet

  5. admin says:

    Melissa Galt Coach | Speaker | Author wrote: 

    Instead of a "sales slump" it is time to focus on a "sales pump." Language is everything and what you think about expands, when you focus on lack it perpetuates itself.

  6. admin says:

    Brian Bearden wrote: 

    It's Sunday when I'm answering this question, a perfect day for many NFL teams to say they are in a slump. I can hear the commentators now.. " They have lost X number of games in a row, they are in a bad slump." Now, whether it's football or sales, you have to go back to the basics to get out of almost any kind of slump. In football, it's fundamentals. 

    If I see my sales slowing, I step back and take a hard look. What's the average closing time on a sale? Let's say it's 90 days, go back and look at what you were you doing 90 days ago. Were you working in your business or on your business? Too much account management and not enough networking or business building and you can see the effect. 

    So to pull yourself out of a slump, go back the basics. How did you generate new business in the past? Networking? Contacting past clients and introducing additional business products, Building more referral partners, etc. 

    Take yourself out of the game for a day and review the fundamentals. Then get back in with a new plan.

  7. admin says:

    David Chevalier wrote: 

    Sales statistics, like sports statistics, often include slumps. But it's wrong to think short term sales failure means a salesperson has lost their "mojo". If activities are consistent, outcomes will still vary around the expected mean and the variance may include what will be perceived as an extended sales slump. Therefore, it's crucial to know the difference between what is the individual's control and what is not. Gym workouts release feel-good hormones and help salespeople to shake off rejection. However, an executive or manager should focus on data, statistics and broader socio-economic patterns. The phrase "sales slump" attempts to quantify reality without adequate information. Many complex business realities are beyond the grasp of a typical salesperson who has numerous time constraints and limited data so they just say, "I guess I'm in a sales slump".

  8. admin says:

    Justin Cherry wrote: 

    I personally believe the slumps one faces in the present are a result of their activity in the past. So, if someone feels like they are starting to slump, they should push more leads in the pipeline, make more prospecting calls, ask for more referrals, and increase the overall sales activities. 

    Here's another good tip… . Invest in a solid CRM software, or sales management tool. Look into something like Tigerpaw Software, or even a contact management software like Goldmine… The software can make a huge difference, for many reasons, but specifically, it will keep the sales people organized, and allow for future marketing actities towards existing leads in your database. 

    My firm helps small businesses ramp up their sales and marketing in a number of ways. If you have questions, just ask.

  9. admin says:

    Judy Hojel wrote: 

    Hi Marco, 

    I think Dave hit the mail on the head. It is up to us to get out there and do what we have to do to generate more business and more opportunities. It's definitely about having and keeping a positive attitude, and just doing what you need to do consistently.

  10. admin says:

    Jan Rossi wrote: 

    Patrick hit it right. Go hit the gym – drive to work a different direction – reach out to new people. Actually "do lunch" with a colleague and brain storm it up. Don't "buy into" the whole sales slump chatter because that is negative talk. Change up your game plan in some way. Watch new things happen. Sales is such a numbers game……..you will connect soon with a new account – but only if you are out there working it.

  11. admin says:

    Patrick K. Hollister wrote: 

    The term in an of itself is a line of poop Marco. If a Sales rep tells you he/she is in a slump, tell them to go to the Batting cages! 

    One of the many reasons I love the job is because every day is different from the next. People have bad sales calls, but generally do not go into "slumps" 

    A good hard gym work out usually cures that streak pretty fast. 

    If I do hit a bad streak, I go off the grid for a day. No TV, no radio, no Blackberry, no Laptop. A good nights sleep then hitting it hard the next day.

Leave a Reply